GeneralUmbrella

Sunday, April 11, 2004

Gweru

Formerly �Gwelo, � town, central Zimbabwe, on the Gweru River. The original Matabele settlement was named iKwelo (�The Steep Place�), after the river's high banks. The modern town, founded in 1894 as a military outpost, developed as an agricultural centre and became a municipality in 1914. Situated along the road and railway between Harare (formerly Salisbury) and Bulawayo and near the rail spur to Maputo,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home